Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: topmind <topmind_at_technologist.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 17:20:13 -0800 (PST)

mAsterdam wrote:
> Patrick May wrote:

> > The people I know who went
> > through that transition are far less likely to be single-paradigm
> > bigots than people who know only Java (damn young whippersnappers)
> > because they have personally experienced the costs and benefits of
> > each set of techniques and idioms.
> >
> > Working in a variety of domains (both problem and solution) seems
> > to ameliorate single-paradigm bigotry as well. People who have spent
> > their careers with big iron databases often lack the context to
> > understand the benefits of other paradigms, just as do newly minted
> > grads who know only Java. One of my favorite interview questions is
> > "What do you like best about your favorite programming language or
> > environment and what would you change about it if you could?" Anyone
> > who can't think of an improvement is out the door.
> >
> > I prefer to work with people who understand procedural,
> > relational, OO, and functional programming. The boundaries between
> > these paradigms are not sharp -- useful techniques span paradigms.
> > Ultimately I'm looking for a gestalt development environment that
> > leverages the benefits of the superset of these techniques to deliver
> > high quality software. That's the real goal, after all.
>
> That is stricly one side of the fence - it is the goal for a
> software development process.
> The goal for a DB is to serve as a vehicle to manage data.

The line between those can be very fuzzy. It is possible to formulate the vast majority of just about any app you see as "managing data", especially if you have good data-centric tools. How far one goes is an age-old battle.

-T- Received on Sun Feb 10 2008 - 02:20:13 CET

Original text of this message