Re: Mixing OO and DB

From: Daniel T. <daniel_t_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 07:29:00 -0500

Victor Porton <porton_at_narod.ru> wrote:

> I know both object oriented programming and DB (SQL). But it seems
> that these are incompatible. Or may somebody advice how to meddle them
> together?

You specifically mention SQL, what language are you trying to "meddle" SQL to? I expect, in any case, that it isn't going to be easy. It usually isn't easy to "meddle" two languages together. (I'm assuming here that "meddle" means the same thing as "meld".)

> Being strong in both OOP and DB development, I am yet weak in writing
> object oriented programs which use DB.
>
> Maybe somebody may suggest me some article about mixing together DB
> and OOP?

I don't know much about "DB development" myself, but Robert Martin's "Designing Object Oriented C++ Applications using the Booch Method" has a section about mixing DB and OOP. He basically says that you need to use down-casts to mix them. (Which implies that they don't mix well.) Received on Fri Feb 08 2008 - 13:29:00 CET

Original text of this message