Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:08:40 GMT

"James A. Fortune" <MPAPoster_at_FortuneJames.com> wrote in message news:eU$f6QEZIHA.5984_at_TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Sylvain Lafontaine wrote:
> >>I concede the point that for the two keys of the junction table, using
an
> >>autonumber primary key is overkill except for special situations.
> >

> > Shouldn't a database be designed right from the beginning?
> >

> I didn't say overkill doesn't work, did I :-)? I think that until we
> delineate the true trade-offs between natural keys and artificial keys,
> if any, you should design your schemas/schemata as you deem best. If it
> turns out that there are situations where each has advantages then those
> situations should determine the correctness of the schema.

I'll go further than that. For most design problems there is more than one acceptable solution. This is particularly true of schema design. Design trade-offs will help determine which of two possible designs is better in any given situation. Received on Fri Feb 01 2008 - 09:08:40 CET

Original text of this message