Re: Boolean and Non-Boolean Terms

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:14:34 -0000

"Brian Selzer" <brian_at_selzer-software.com> wrote in message news:bf%nj.4758$J41.383_at_newssvr14.news.prodigy.net...
> "Roy Hann" <specially_at_processed.almost.meat> wrote in message
>>I am looking at some DB2 performance-tuning notes where I am seeing a
>>phrase I've not seen before. The notes speak of a test in a WHERE clause
>>that allows a row to be definitely exluded being a "Boolean Term". The
>>converse is referred to a non-Boolean term.
>>
>> A quick Google tells me this terminology is not widely used outside DB2.
>> Is there a more widely understood term meaning the same thing?
>
> Disjunctive predicates are those that have an 'OR' in them. [snip]

Understood. But what I am after is whether there is a term or phrase with the same meaning as "Boolean Term" (as used in the DB2 world) that would be recognized by users of other products. "Conjunctive predicate" seems a better candidate, but I can't recall it being used in a workplace setting.

This probably isn't a question for a theory group at all, but I figured this might be one watering-hole shared by users of many different products.

Roy Received on Wed Jan 30 2008 - 16:14:34 CET

Original text of this message