Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:01:31 GMT

"-CELKO-" <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:c0ed64e6-98e8-4eab-95b3-b724ecbf4c68_at_q77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> >> Whenever I've created junction tables [sic] in the past, I always made
the PK of the junction table the combined pks from the two other tables.. <<

> I wish I knew where people got the term "junction table" when they
> mean a table that models a relationship . I guess if you are still
> thinking in terms PK-FK being pointer chains and structure and not
> relational, then you would borrow old terminology from Network
> Databases. And bring that mindset with you, too.

It probably came from the term "junction record" in CODASYL databases, where a record can be a member of two sets, in order to enable a many-to-many connection between
the owners of the record in the two sets.

Much of the early (Bowdlerized) description of relational databases was written with reference back to the (at the time) more familiar CODASYL databases. Received on Mon Jan 28 2008 - 00:01:31 CET

Original text of this message