Re: Separate PK in Jxn Tbl?

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 03:45:44 -0500

"Sylvain Lafontaine" <sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please)> wrote in message news:uTvWO%23%23XIHA.1532_at_TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> To that, I would add that the increased simplicity of using a surrogate
> (or artificial or autonumber) key as the primary key in place of a
> composite key is only half their advantage.
>
> The biggest problem that I have with composite keys is that they share the
> same fundamental problem as natural keys: using them as the primary key is
> allowing the fact that a primary key can change its value over time.
> IMHO, a primary key should never be allowed to change its value once it
> has been created; a assumption which will forbid the use of a composite
> key in many cases. (Of course, if you don't mind to see a primary key
> changing its value after its creation then you are not concerned by this
> argument.).

This argument has an inherent fallacy in it. Just because a key is composed from multiple columns doesn't necessarily mean that its values can be different in different database states. For example, in an Inventory table that has the key, {ItemKey, WarehouseKey}, with references to an Item table and a Warehouse table respectively, the combination values that comprise each key value can never change from database state to database state. A particular combination of values identifies a particular individual in the Universe of Discourse in /every/ database state in which it appears. It can /never/ identify any other individual. Therefore, it should be obvious that adding an additional autonumber primary key in this instance would be superfluous, since each {ItemKey, WarehouseKey} combination already rigidly designates a distinct individual in the Universe of Discourse.

The same can be said for many natural keys. For example, suppose you have a table, Queue, that has an integer key, {Position}. Each value for Position rigidly designates a distinct individual in the Universe of Discourse (3 always means "third in line" in any database state in which there are 3 or more elements), so therefore there is no need for an additional autonumber primary key.