Re: what are keys and surrogates?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:55:31 -0400

Jan Hidders wrote:

> On 18 jan, 00:55, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>Jan Hidders wrote:

>>>Why? Seriously. Why do you think there is a relationship at all? Why
>>>would the number of ways a value can be represented to the user
>>>(something which a matter of definition and/or convention) have any
>>>bearing on how many ways there are to map it to 1's and 0's?
>>
>>Why do you think representations are limited to representing to users?
>
> I don't. I think possreps are. But I could be wrong about their
> definition.

I strongly suspect you are.

So what is exactly a possrep according to you? Are you > saying that the number of possreps of a certain value is by definition > the number of ways it can be represented as ... as what?

I don't understand the part starting with "as". I would punctuate the sentence there instead.

>>How does representing to a user differ from representing to a machine?
>
> You don't get out much, do you? :-)

That kind of man-machine interface never even occured to me. One wonders what causes your mind to wander in that direction. Received on Fri Jan 18 2008 - 16:55:31 CET

Original text of this message