Re: cdt glossary [Graph] (was: what are keys and surrogates?)

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:07:10 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 11, 4:05 pm, Jan Hidders <hidd..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 jan, 14:17, JOG <j..._at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:

> > > Yes, overloading "graph" can cause confusion.
>
> > > It seems that when you get down to the detailed formalisms different
> > > authors have different definitions of relation and function.
>
> > > I think it makes most sense to consider a function to be the ordered
> > > triple (D,C,G) where D is the domain, C the co-domain and G is the
> > > graph of the function.
>
> > > I've always thought of a (mathematical) relation on X1,...,Xk as
> > > formally nothing other than a subset of the cartesian product on
> > > X1,...,Xk, but I see here
>
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relation_%28mathematics%29
>
> > > that it could alternatively be defined as the ordered tuple
> > > (X1,...,Xk,G) and we refer to X1,...,Xk as the domains of the
> > > relation, and G is a subset of the cartesian product on X1,...,Xk and
> > > is called the graph of the relation. In that case it is indeed true
> > > that formally a function is a relation.
>
> > > Saying that a function is a relation of course makes a lot of sense.
> > > However there can be some confusion. For example, the co-domain of a
> > > function can be referred to as one of the domains!
>
> > A function is definitely a type of relation (albeit a binary one). A
> > function is defined as (D, C, G) where G is a subset of the cartesian
> > product of DxC, just like all binary relations. However a function is
> > restricted such that a member of D may only appear as the first
> > element of a single ordered pair in G. I have never personally seen
> > any disagreement or confusion over these definitions in mathematics.
>
> So you've never met somebody who would confuse the definition of a
> partial function with that of a function?
>
> Sorry. :-)
>
> -- Jan Hidders

Meh ;) Total functions, partial functions, formal dinner functions - they're all functions, even if a total function often sees its 'total' dropped, and they all accord to what I stated above. So I'm going to cock you a snook and stand by my guns - I've never heard a mathematician claim a function isn't a relation... Received on Sat Jan 12 2008 - 06:07:10 CET

Original text of this message