Re: NULLs

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 07:10:48 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 4, 2:50 pm, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
> "Hugo Kornelis" <h..._at_perFact.REMOVETHIS.info.INVALID> wrote in message

> > On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 10:34:06 -0800 (PST), Marshall wrote:

> >>Full normalization is a third option.
>
> > Hi Marshall,
>
> > As in "one table per elementary fact type"? Full agreement here, see my
> > message to Jim.
>
> Excuse me, but I don't think normalization has any bearing whatsoever. Even
> with a fully normalized schema it may be that there can be missing
> information.

I think we have to be careful on terminology here - if a model has no nulls in it then as far as the /logical model/ is concerned absolutely nothing is missing. All predicates are satisfied by full instantiations.There is a distinction between what it means for information to be missing at the conceptual layer and the logical layer, and I fear a lot of arguments about the issue on cdt are down to not specifying which layer is being discussed.