Re: which part of IM is this ?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:49:35 -0400

rpl wrote:

> sorry to bug you but...
>
> if i want to define a datum in terms of who owns what, what branch of IM
> is it ? (yes i know it's not a computer-bound thing)
>
> f'rinstance SSN...
>
> a SSN is a conduit between the govt and a unique citizen (who's decided
> to join The System).
>
> It's issued by the govt.
>
> An employer may have an SSN on file, but they have no use for it, it's
> simply passed on to IRS (who does have a use for it).
>

> Anyways, I'm trying to find a language subset or hopefully a discipline
> that deals with rights/obligations in regards to data, in a quantizable
> fashion.
>
> (sorry to be so vague)
>
> rpl

The concept you are looking for is security.

Other relevant terms might be authorization, privacy etc. but it's generally called the security function when talking about database management.

If you are working with SQL, look under GRANT and REVOKE for most dialects. Received on Thu Dec 20 2007 - 03:49:35 CET

Original text of this message