Re: Amazon's "Simple" Database

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn_at_garlic.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:55:31 -0500

Sampo Syreeni <decoy_at_iki.fi> writes:
> I'd divide the answer into two. For the original use SGML/XML and
> related markup languages (like HTML) were meant for, i.e. markup of
> running text compatible with plain text editors, they still hold quite
> a lot of value.

i.e. SGML was originally GML before becoming "standard gml" with ISO standard. GML
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#sgml

was invented at the science center in '69 http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

(G, M, and L, are the inventors initial motivated requirement for acronym with those letters) ... at the time, somewhat motivated by the need for use in legal documents.
http://xml.coverpages.org/sgmlhist0.html

science center was also responsible for virtual machine implementation and a lot of timesharing and interactive related applications.

the original documentation formater developed at the science center was called *script*, used "dot" formating commands ... somewhat similar to earlier implementation done for ctss
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RUNOFF
and
http://mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/CC-244.html

aka some of the ctss people went to the science center on 4th flr of 545 tech sq and some went to multics on 5th flr.

the initial "gml" implementation was done by adding gml tags to script document formater.

cern was also a large virtual machine implementation ... using various applications ... including a script clone written by univ. of waterloo. this talks about evolution from sgml into html: http://infomesh.net/html/history/early

the first webserver outside of europe was on the virtual machine system at slac (slac and cern shared a lot of software) http://www.slac.stanford.edu/history/earlyweb/history.shtml

the science center's virtual machine implementation was also used at sjr for the original relational/sql implementation http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#systemr Received on Wed Dec 19 2007 - 16:55:31 CET

Original text of this message