Re: One-To-One Relationships

From: rpost <rpost_at_pcwin518.campus.tue.nl>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:15:14 +0100

vldm10 wrote:

[...]

>I tried to explain my answer through an example. But it is not so
>important. By the way, you can find the good answer on your question
>"Why by only one attribute? Why not by a set of attributes? " on my
>website www.dbdesign10.com look under the following: "7.1
>Identifying the Plurality"

If I understand correctly, you propose to turn every relation in your database into an entity by providing it with a surrogate key, unless it already has a single-attribute key.

Section 7.1 states *how* to do this. It does *not* state why.

This is rather common (judging from the database designs I have seen.) It effectively turns the model into an OO class model.

It has advantages (single-attribute references, uniformity), but also disadvantages (read this group). What are your arguments for doing it?

--
Reinier