Re: Another view on analysis and ER

From: JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 04:24:31 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 5, 6:09 am, Ruud de Koter <nob..._at_internet.org> wrote:
> JOG wrote:

> >> Very clear, this answer. One minor point I 'd like to add is that it is
> >> not subjective. Instead, the choices are governed by the goal to be
> >> served with the application (assuming the analysis aims at building an
> >> application).

> > Shared data anyone? Isn't the point that we _don't_ necessarily know
> > all the applications?
>

> >> As clearly stated, there is a difference in perspective
> >> between tax inspectors and priests (and spouses, for that matter). There
> >> simply is no single authorative model for a marriage, there are several
> >> points of view, depending on the universe of discourse one operates in.
> >> What we, in analysis, can do is to make sure we are aware of these UoDs
> >> , and make a conscious choice. That is something else than being subjective.
>

> > Why make the choice? Keep the data neutral and its good for both tax
> > inspectors and priests right.
>

> There are two troublesome points in your reaction. First of all 'keep
> the data neutral' doesn't mean no choices are made. Staying neutral is a
> choice as well. One of the hardest choices I 'd say, because in order to
> stay neutral, a thorough knowledge of the universes of discourse is
> necessary. Also, these universes should not be mutually exclusive.

Thats a fair point. Neutrality is something i've promoted for a long time on cdt, and I understand there are issues for processor cycles. However one can still take a single conceptual view of data in analysis and flatten it out in the logical layer. Take David's breakdown of the marriage example for instance - even though it is translated from a single conceptual view, by the time it is in the logical layer data may be extracted from it via the perspective of marriage as an entity, or marriage as a relationship, with equal ease.

> A second point: we can only keep the data neutral if know all possible
> perspectives. It is only then that we can consciously model the data to
> fit all the universes of discourse. Yet, you rightly observe we don't
> necessarily know all the applications, which amounts to saying we don't
> know all the universes of discourse. So choices can not be avoided. In
> that case I 'd much rather make these conscious choices instead of
> keeping up a pretense of neutrality. At the very least we should be
> aware that the model resulting from analysis may be biased, and is not
> the final word on the world out there.

I think maybe we are referring to a slightly different definition of neutrality. I'm suggesting that a logical model should have no bias as to whether things are relationships or entities, and leave that to be determined by the person generating the queries. Regards, J.