Re: RM formalism supporting partial information

From: Joe Thurbon <usenet_at_thurbon.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:40:58 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:

> Joe Thurbon wrote:
>

>> Bob Badour wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>

>>> In this context, your assertion is rather like 'transportation is
>>> essential'. Either buses or bicycles suffice. As I said, I am not
>>> sure the name is necessarily part of the element. We must have some
>>> way to identify the elements, but any identification method suffices.
>>> Of course, we choose names over positions because positions are
>>> necessarily tied to a specific medium, and we want to use
>>> media-independent representations.
>>
>> I'm afraid you've lost me. In what sense are names more
>> media-independent than positions?
>
> How do you make a sound to the left or the right?

<aside>
We generally do this temporally. When I read out f(x, y) I make the sound of x before I make the sound of y.

A guess you could also affect the phase of a stereo signal. </aside>

Is your point that there are more mediums that can convey names than there are mediums that can convey positions? Or that the conventions used to convey names will, in general, be simpler than the conventions used to convey positions, when considering many media? Or that specifying positions ties you to a particular medium?

Cheers,
Joe Received on Wed Nov 21 2007 - 00:40:58 CET

Original text of this message