Re: RM formalism supporting partial information

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:06:47 -0400

Marshall wrote:

> On Nov 15, 10:13 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>Marshall wrote:

>>>You attribute a bunch of positions here to me, but none of them
>>>are things that I actually think or things that I actually said.
>>
>>While I have used the term many times in the past, and I am sure I will
>>use it many times in the future, seeing this discussion has impressed
>>upon me how unimportant "attribute" is as a concept.
>>
>>The important concepts are tuples, propositions, predicates etc.
>
> For myself, I have found less and less use for the concept
> of tuple over time. I try as much as possible to do everything
> with just relations. Relations as sets-of-propositions, relations
> as predicates, cardinality-1 relations instead of tuples, etc.
> In fact I am going so far as to attempt the idea of a theory with
> relations as the only primitive. (And possibly also including
> scalars.)
>
> Not 100% clear if the idea can be carried out all the way, but
> it's promising so far.

I agree with your sentiment; however, I have a nit to pick. Just as a relation is a set of propositions, it is also a set of tuples. There is a sort of duality involved where a tuple is to the algebra as a proposition is to the calculus. Received on Fri Nov 16 2007 - 21:06:47 CET

Original text of this message