Re: RM formalism supporting partial information

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 13:44:16 -0400

Alfredo Novoa wrote:

> On 16 nov, 18:06, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

>>>I agree. I propose to ditch the term "attribute" and to use "heading
>>>element".
>>
>>I wouldn't even bother with that. In a predicate or proposition, the
>>name is a variable name--either free or bound. In a tuple, the name is
>>also a variable name or the name of a dimension or um a domain name.

> In a tuple I would call "tuple elements" to the pairs formed by name
> and value.

I am not sure the name is necessarily part of the element other than to identify it. I am not sure if that is clear enough. In mathematics, we sometimes use names and we sometimes use position to identify the elements of tuples.

I should also say, while I was originally drawn to the algebra, I have come to realise the calculus is much more illuminating. In the calculus, the name is a variable name -- either free or bound depending on the context. Received on Fri Nov 16 2007 - 18:44:16 CET

Original text of this message