Re: RM and abstract syntax trees

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 03:29:23 -0000

[Quoted] [Quoted] On Oct 31, 7:50 pm, David BL <davi..._at_iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Isn't it helpful to see the analogy with a pointer dereference?
>
> I'll leave it up to you as to whether you dislike the analogy between
> node identifiers and pointer values, and the idea that a join can be
> compared to a pointer dereference. Perhaps you are right and the
> analogy creates confusion.

[Quoted] I think if we are clear about it being an analogy we are on solid ground. But as soon as we start thinking pointers and references are the *same* thing we are in trouble, because now we can't see the differences anymore.

I think Date actually nails this issue. He says (roughly) that pointers add complexity but don't add any expressive power.

Marshall Received on Thu Nov 01 2007 - 04:29:23 CET

Original text of this message