Re: atomic

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 19:57:01 -0000

On Oct 31, 11:46 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> paul c wrote:
> > David BL wrote:
>
> >> On Oct 31, 4:31 pm, "Roy Hann" <specia..._at_processed.almost.meat>

> >> Can that be formalised? I agree with Bob that in general we have a
> >> set of operators and they can allow us to see internal structure.
> >> What does it mean for a value to be *treated* as atomic?
>
> > I think it means that relational algebra operators are not allowed to
> > decompose it.
>
> Actually, the structure is illusory and representation-dependent.
> Domains have operations that appear to reveal internal structure even
> when that internal structure may not physically exist.

Agreed.

One hundred and twenty three is an atomic value; a natural number. The idea that there is a 1, a 2, and a 3 in there is illusory. (Or rather, it is an artifact of the representation, not an artifact of the value.)

You can write an expression that will give you those things, but that shouldn't lead us to any conclusions.

X / 10 % 10 will give us the tens place. But what then are we to make of X / 9 % 9? It gives us the nines place in a base 9 number.

Marshall Received on Wed Oct 31 2007 - 20:57:01 CET

Original text of this message