Re: atomic

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:35:05 -0000

On Oct 30, 6:45 pm, paul c <toledobythe..._at_ooyah.ac> wrote:
> I know that Codd wrote his first "big" db paper in 1969. At that time I
> believe the understanding of physical atoms was simpler than it is
> today but the word "atomic" in most people's minds inherited the physics
> meaning.

Etymology footnote: "atomic" literally means indivisible, from the Greek "a" + "tomos": "not divided" or "uncut."

Both the physics and the math use of the word derive from the original. Ironically, the physicists jumped the gun using this word for the-thing-molecules-are-made-of. :-)

Marshall Received on Wed Oct 31 2007 - 16:35:05 CET

Original text of this message