Re: RM and abstract syntax trees

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_ooyah.ac>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 00:24:00 GMT

Bob Badour wrote:
> paul c wrote:

>> Here's my favourite nested relation, although I admit it's probably
>> useless in practice.  It's a recursive one.  Sorry I don't have much
>> mastery of conventional syntax, what I mean here is something like R:
>> <attribute list> where <attribute list> is a set of attribute name,
>> attribute type pairs and typeof is swiped from C-language:
>>
>> R: (A typeof R)
>>
>> I don't know how to display a value for R but I guess it could have
>> either no tuples or one tuple.

> It could have any number of tuples. See formalism under "philosophy of
> mathematics".
>
> Example values are:
> zero tuples:
> {}
>
> one tuple:
> {{}}
> {{{}}}
> {{{{}}}}
> {{{},{{}}}}
>
> two tuples:
> {{},{{}}}
> {{{}},{{{}}}}
> {{},{{{}}}}
>
> three tuples:
> {{},{{}},{{},{{}}}}
> {{},{{}},{{{}}}}
>
> four tuples:
> etc.

Thanks for the formalism suggestions, will try to absorb.

I know you've tried to explain various flavours of this to me before, but an example that prompts this for me, only with two attributes, is:

R2: {A integer, B typeof R2}

In R2, I can see that a value for B isn't necessarily empty, but if it is, that must be the end of the "descent", for I don't see how an empty recursive relation can recurse "any further" as it were. (I think this would be the case even if R2 defined several "levels" of conventional non-recursive RVA's.)

Now, I admit I'm slow (but not heavy!) but I can see only one possible value for R.A which is an empty relation of type R and two possible values for R, one where R is empty and the other where R has one tuple where R.A is empty. I don't see how a relation defined recursively can "descend" from an empty value!

So far, it looks like a peculiar kind of constraint to me. As somebody else say, go ahead and attack it, I can take it! Received on Wed Oct 31 2007 - 01:24:00 CET

Original text of this message