Re: New to the job

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 04:06:57 -0000

On Oct 13, 10:17 pm, nujcha..._at_googlemail.com wrote:
> I just got a new job (woohoo). First challegne I face is to build a
> data model and a data dictionary of all the systems existing in the
> organisation. I have a number of constraints to acheive this because
> of the following
>
> 1. Nobody knows the full picture of how many systems we have in the
> organisation. I think IT dept probably are aware of 90% systems used
> in the orgnisation
>
> 2. We have accessed to the databases as they are hosted in house but
> there wasnt knowledge transfer so staff do not know about underlying
> database
>
> The organisation has 4000 employees, this is my 2nd week at work and I
> want to impress my boss so much and obviously want to pass probation
> but I am struggle. My initial idea is that try to find the master
> database but I think it depends on the context and master database can
> vary when context changes.
>
> Help me please, what would u do if you were me?
>
> Thanx
> Peppe

ONE I want to congratulate the manager that recognizes the need for this documentation.

TWO given the need for this documentation,I sincerely believe you will not find a master DB. GIve up that idea.

THREE Patrtition the systems. Get one or a few documented. That will impress your manager more than getting a fast answer. Look for ways to make the documentation easy to change and keep in synch with the databases.

You have a great opportunity here to become a better expert on the company's databases than some long timers in your shop. You should do well. Good luck.

  Ed Received on Fri Oct 19 2007 - 06:06:57 CEST

Original text of this message