TRM and sorts

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 02:22:22 GMT

I wonder if anybody here has spent much time thinking about the practicalities of the "trans-relational model"?

I can see its value for joins that don't involve projections of relations that have a great many attributes, however it seems to assume that all "tables" are pre-sorted (which for some apps I think is a reasonable assumption) and since "ORDERing" often involves permutations of attributes, I think that any implementation that supports ordering on multiple attributes must either pre-sort every permutation of attributes or implement the equivalent of a run-time sort.

Sometimes I wonder if this is one reason why it might be thought deficient. I'm curious as to what others here might condider practical deficiencies.

p Received on Wed Sep 05 2007 - 04:22:22 CEST

Original text of this message