Re: Multiple-Attribute Keys and 1NF

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:05:33 GMT

JOG wrote:
> On Aug 28, 7:41 pm, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>> JOG wrote:
>> I don't recall suggesting anything about sets--just a domain that has a
>> distinct value that means "green and yellow".

> Okay, sure. But then to be able to query for green and yellow
> individually one must employ a further relation encoding two more
> propositions that state "'Green and yellow' contains 'Green'" and that
> "'Green and yellow' contains 'Yellow'" respectively. One then has a
> schema with two domains - one for the composites and one for
> individual colours (which is what I was inferring when I initially
> said a new one was being added).

I took Bob B to mean something else, eg., allowing the colour purple doesn't require an app to record what primary colours purple is usually fashioned from (maybe they're green and blue, I forget, but which they are doesn't change the point).

p Received on Tue Aug 28 2007 - 21:05:33 CEST

Original text of this message