Re: IS components and categories

From: Mudit <mudit.khetan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 06:36:07 -0000

On Aug 10, 3:35 am, beginner16 <kaja_love..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 10, 12:33 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>

> > beginner16 wrote:
> > > Hello
>
> > > I realize that the following questions might seem totally irrelevant
> > > to most of you, but I'm still hoping someone will take the time to
> > > answer them.
>
> > > BTW - I will use IS for information system
>
> > > On one of the pages my book talks briefly about IS ( but it never
> > > explains what exactly does it mean with the term - is the text
> > > referring to DBs only, or to computer based systems or ...) and explains
> > > that IS is made of several components. It also mentions that we divide
> > > IS into several categories. Anyways:
>
> > > a) What are the IS components?
> > > b) Into what categories do we divide IS?
>
> > You would probably have to ask the author(s) what they meant when they
> > wrote that. If one uses the ISO standard vocabularies, then an
> > information system necessarily can encompass more than a DB because the
> > standard vocabularies treat data as only that subset of information
> > suitably represented for machine processing.
>
> > Hence, a physical books and shelves library can be or can be part of an
> > information system.
>
> Well, the author most probably mean Is in the more general sense of a
> word, so...

An Information System or IS as you call it may have some of the following components:
1) The Human Users - Ultimately they need the Info to do something 2) The Data Source - can be a DB, or physical paper files, or books catalogs etc. as mentioned by Bob
3) The Processing System - That turns the data into Information. It applies the varies rules and contraints to the data to make it more meaningful.
4) The Reporting System - May be part of the Processing component, used to properly provide the Information to the intended users in desired format and on time.
DBMS tools and application programs are written/used to make the whole process fast, able to handle huge volumes of data, and error free (to the extent possible). Received on Thu Aug 23 2007 - 08:36:07 CEST

Original text of this message