Re: NULLs: theoretical problems?

From: David Portas <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 20:12:50 +0100

"David Cressey" <cressey73_at_verizon.net> wrote in message news:lxyxi.34$wr3.33_at_trndny04...

> "David Portas" <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org> wrote in message
>> "David Cressey" <cressey73_at_verizon.net> wrote in message
>

>> SELECT DISTINCT i FROM t WHERE x = x;
>>
>> The result is clearly wrong if a null means "x is unknown" or "x is out
>> of
>> range" and possibly wrong if null means "x does not apply".
>
> But if a null means "x is not present" and nothing more, the result is
> clearly right.

Giving yet another interpretation of null demonstrates only that there is no generally accepted interpretation. What on earth is "not present" supposed to mean in a proposition anyway? I suggest that it is far from clear that "not present" means that x = x evaluates to something other than true!

>> If you admit nulls then you must deal with predicates that reference
>> nullable attributes.
>
> Why?

You are seriously suggesting that nulls should never appear in predicates? That alone must be a strong argument to banish them entirely.

--
David Portas