Re: standard and easy way to do schema design

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 22:39:53 GMT

-CELKO- wrote:

>>> a very standard and a simple way to do database schema design. <<

> No. But there are some design patterns which you can see in Hay's
> book.
>
> Little horror story about outsourcing. Six months into a project, the
> American gets a call from his Indian counterpart, who asks "Is
> bookkeeping in America done by cash or accrual system?" There is a
> pause, and the American says "Accrual"; the Indian responds "Thank
> Ganesha!-- something in Hindi to the other people on his side of the
> phone line, followed by happy sounds -- Good bye!"
>
> Ganesh is the Hindu god with an elephant's head who protects those who
> suffer unjustly -- that makes him the patron saint of developers with
> vague specs :)
>
> Having said that, there are development methods (NOT Methodologies --
> I agree with Larry Constantine that Methodology is the study of
> methods). A method is what we do when we have no idea what to do
> next. Do you like RUP? ER (Chen, not the TV show)? Did you start
> with an ORM diagram? Are you Ambler Agile? etc.

Double heh Celko, too disinterested in most offerings to comment on your product contributions but leaving those out this seems a pretty accurate comment. Walk through a room of "db consultants" just before morning coffee break and it usually looks like 50 per cent of them are trying to figure out what to do next and lack any method for discovering that. The other 50% make more money because are experts in some methodology or other, after all, that word rhymes with ideology, which customers gravitate to because it suggest certainty. Usually neither ends up being on the customer's point. After coffee break, comprehension improves, momentarily. In the afternoon, everything goes downhill, but nobody realizes it until tomorrow morning, when it all starts over again.

p Received on Thu Aug 16 2007 - 00:39:53 CEST

Original text of this message