Re: IS components and categories

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 19:33:51 -0300

beginner16 wrote:

> Hello
>
> I realize that the following questions might seem totally irrelevant
> to most of you, but I'm still hoping someone will take the time to
> answer them.
>
> BTW - I will use IS for information system
>

> On one of the pages my book talks briefly about IS ( but it never
> explains what exactly does it mean with the term - is the text
> referring to DBs only, or to computer based systems or ...) and explains
> that IS is made of several components. It also mentions that we divide
> IS into several categories. Anyways:
>
> a) What are the IS components?
> b) Into what categories do we divide IS?

You would probably have to ask the author(s) what they meant when they wrote that. If one uses the ISO standard vocabularies, then an information system necessarily can encompass more than a DB because the standard vocabularies treat data as only that subset of information suitably represented for machine processing.

Hence, a physical books and shelves library can be or can be part of an information system. Received on Fri Aug 10 2007 - 00:33:51 CEST

Original text of this message