Re: Sixth normal form

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 09:16:53 -0000

On 3 aug, 17:55, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
> "Jan Hidders" <hidd..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On 1 aug, 15:51, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:
> >> "Jan Hidders" <hidd..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> I think it is important to emphasize the fact that vertically splitting a
> >> 5NF relation into a set of 6NF relations has consequences, specifically
> >> the
> >> need to enforce mutual foreign keys or a circular inclusion dependency,
> >> depending upon the number of resulting 6NF relations. This is important
> >> because support in commercial RDBMSs for enforcing such constraints is
> >> severely limited, if not nonexistent, since it requires an implementation
> >> of
> >> multiple assignment. Therefore splitting should only be done when
> >> absolutely necessary, for example, to support a temporal dimension.
>
> > Agreed. I would add that this is not specific for going from 5NF to
> > 6NF but anywhere you decompose to go from a lower to a higher normal
> > form.
>
> Not always. If two sets of attributes are independent, as is the case when
> moving from 1NF to 2NF, then there is no need for a referential constraint;
> if two projections are independent, as is the case when moving from BCNF to
> 4NF, then there is no need for a referential constraint.

I have no idea what you mean here. In all those cases you need a cyclic pair of nclusion dependencies if you want the new schema to be equivalent with the old. And if you only want the new schema to contain at least as much information as the old then you strictly speaking don't need any inclusion dependency at all.

> The difference between moving from 1NF to 5NF and moving from 5NF to 6NF is
> that breaking up a set of two or more dependent attributes in a 5NF relation
> /always/ requires a cyclical constraint in order for an instance of the
> database schema to be able to contain /at least the same/ information
> content.

Also here you don't need any inclusion dependency to get a schema that can contain at least as much information as the old.

> If a relation is already in 5NF, then there is no way to separate
> the set of dependent attributes without losing information. Suppose that A,
> B and C are dependent attributes in a 5NF relation schema. Then FD ABC -->
> ABC is implied by the candidate key, as well as the FDs ABC --> A, ABC -->
> B, and ABC --> C. Splitting the relation vertically so that each relation
> schema is in 6NF causes those FDs to be lost.

The dependencies that are left allow you derive ABC --> ABC for the result of joining them back together, which is what the old set of FDs also told you. So no information is lost.

  • Jan Hidders