Re: question using aggregate function

From: Bob Badour <>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:17:04 -0300

paul c wrote:

>> Bob Badour wrote:
>>> Are you suggesting he would have found ALL or ANY or EXISTS foreign
>>> concepts?
>> i'm pretty sure that was a rhetorical question, but i'll sort-of bite
>> anyway. I wonder what the heck do people who learned English as a
>> second language think of these terms (which seem fundamental to me,
>> not because I'm objective but because I'm used to them, so my thoughts
>> may well be distorted by my upbringing and haven't yet learned how to
>> compare them to the other themes that Codd involved in his idea,
>> information principle and so forth).
> (I wasn't suggesting that one's first language is the only mental tool,
> have met people from many other countries who could express the ideas in
>  a formal notation, but as we see with talk about identity and views,
> the formal methods usually allow several different human interpretations.)

English pollutes a lot of mathematics. Whether one uses and upside-down A or a backward E for ALL and EXISTS, I don't think it changes things much.

Quantifiers and sub-queries were certainly in Codd's mind. But are those correlated? I honestly do not know what makes a subquery correlated versus uncorrelated. Received on Wed Jul 18 2007 - 14:17:04 CEST

Original text of this message