Re: A pk is *both* a physical and a logical object.

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:54:14 GMT

"Jan Hidders" <hidders_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1184317017.026070.245210_at_22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com...

> On 13 jul, 06:17, "Brian Selzer" <br..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:

>> "Jan Hidders" <hidd..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > The course of the discourse is not part of the Universe of Discourse
>> > unless, of course, it is discussed in the discourse.
>>
>> > Or were you talking about dynamic constraints? Since those describe
>> > the allowed changes in the universe, much like physical laws describe
>> > the allowed changes of the physical universe, I think it is reasonable
>> > to say that they can be part of the description of a universe.
>>
>> I was thinking more along the lines of the difference between what can be
>> and what can be true.
>
> Very little, I imagine. :-)

{a, b, c} is different from {{a}, {b}, {c}}, yes? A description of the universe is a description of what can be. What can be true is a description of a description of what can be.

> So you meant static constraints? Why do you think those would not be
> part of the description of the UoD?

I was thinking more along the lines of relation schemata, which can be represented either by open sentences in first order logic (which if included as part of the description of the universe would mean that that description is incomplete) or by contingent sentences in quantified modal logic. In either case an assignment is required to obtain what is actually true about their referents, and by extension, about the universe.

So, at the logical level, you describe not only the Universe of Discourse, but also what can be said about the Universe of Discourse.

> -- Jan Hidders
> Received on Fri Jul 13 2007 - 16:54:14 CEST

Original text of this message