Re: A pk is *both* a physical and a logical object.

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:21:24 +0100

"Jan Hidders" <hidders_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1184253165.108058.298260_at_n2g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
> That is certainly a fact, but I'm not sure if I'm not more worried by
> the Dumpty Humpties, i.e., those that will insist that there is only
> one true meaning of a word and every attempt to redefine it is no less
> than sacrilege. My guess is that it is the fundamentalists that we
> need to worry about more.

I guess that depends how they do it. One cannot have a conversation where the participants can equivocate (as we see here time and time and time again). The domain of discourse has to be firmly established and within it there can be only one definition of any term. Insisting on that kind of discipline isn't funamentalism in my book, it's just a prerequisite to communication.

On the other hand if your Dumpty Humpties try to insist the same term has to mean the same thing in all realms of discourse they'd clearly be insane, stupid, or trolling. And that's not fundamentalism either.

(Hmm. Perhaps I just argued that there is no such thing as a fundamentalist. That'd be an interesting claim...)

Roy Received on Thu Jul 12 2007 - 11:21:24 CDT