Re: Career questions: databases

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 07:53:42 -0700

Neil wrote:
> While agreeing with your point about resume fluff, in all fairness, the
> person claimed he was "proficient" in those technologies, not "expert" in
> them. At what point does one become "proficient"? That's a good question.
> But I don't think one needs to be able to field live questions from an
> audience of developers in order to call oneself "proficient."
>
> Neil

I appreciate that but to me proficiency has a higher standard than, perhaps, for you. Would you call a DBA that writes shell scripts to back up 10g database proficient? I wouldn't.

To quote:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/proficient

pro·ficient·ly adv.
Synonyms: proficient, adept, skilled, skillful, expert These adjectives mean having or showing knowledge, ability, or skill, as in a profession or field of study. Proficient implies an advanced degree of competence acquired through training:

Note: "advanced degree of competence acquired through training"

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington