Re: completeness of the relational lattice

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 00:27:28 -0000

Just some quick comments:

On Jun 22, 11:29 am, Vadim Tropashko <vadimtro_inva..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Before giving the equality axiom let describe informally what the
> constant E is. We join all possible equality relations in the system,
> so that we have something like this

How interesting! That would have made some of the stuff I was working on a few weeks ago a lot easier. However, not having it meant I had to come up with an entirely different approach that I think has some merit, namely the "free relation variable with fixed header."

> Sure x,y,z have to belong to the same domain, while "a" and "b" may be
> from a different domain. This is again an informal definition that is
> supposed to drive the intuition.

Hmm. I don't get that. Also, is there any significance to the fact that x=y and a=b are enclosed in different kinds of quotes?

Let me just say that I think that domains are pure distraction, best ignored. The algebra needn't have domains; they complicate without adding benefit. Domains make more sense as a kind of constraint.

Marshall Received on Sat Jun 23 2007 - 02:27:28 CEST

Original text of this message