Re: Little design mistakes that can be easily avoided (2): Listenning to CELKO (and CELKO alikes)

From: Brian Selzer <brian_at_selzer-software.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 12:19:30 GMT

"Matthias Klaey" <mpky_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bipi53pjf51gluul6b3b8uv86kbq7hanse_at_4ax.com...
> Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Matthias Klaey a écrit :

> [...]
>>>
>>> Surely you must be joking?
>>Never joking. Asking questions and trying t make sense out of CELKO's
>>posts.
>
> Then it's time for a short history lesson. Edgar F. Codd was the
> inventor of the relational model (RM). You might start with
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_F._Codd
>
> and take it from there. Most important is
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codd%27s_12_rules
>
> (Unfortunately the two Computerworld articles where Codd first
> described his rules do not seem to be available online).
>
> You can download Codds very first paper on the relational model under
>
> http://www.klaeycomputing.com/Codd/Codd1.pdf
>
> and the paper cited by Celko under
>
> http://www.klaeycomputing.com/Codd/Codd2.pdf

If you've studied it, they you know that Celko's failed to mention the last paragraph of section 4, which is in direct contradiction to his rant. I've pointed this and other things out to him before, but he still dumps the same flawed argument on people all the time. In other words, he *knowingly* mischaracterizes Codd's position to advance his own agenda. (He wants people to buy his books!)