Re: Stupid Database Tricks

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 08:38:53 +0100

"David Cressey" <cressey73_at_verizon.net> wrote in message news:FDt5i.8082$hw.4094_at_trndny08...
> Good thought. A lot of people who propound this stupid trick as a "best
> practice" are thinking in terms of chains of pointers. It's the revenge
> of
> the CODASYL Zombies.

I don't buy it. *I* was a network DB coding zombie in my youth and it was precisely because I endured that pain for several years that I fell instantly and hopelessly in love with the relational model when I first encountered it. I don't think I am likely to be very different from anyone else from that era. It is highly implausible to me that anyone who worked with that shit would want to perpetuate it after being exposed to a better way.

It is just the new, naive manpower flooding into the workforce who keep rediscovering and re-entrenching the obvious approach. Who is going to think of looking for plywood if they can plainly see a pile of logs and they need a cabin quick?

Roy Received on Fri May 25 2007 - 09:38:53 CEST

Original text of this message