Re: Stupid Database Tricks

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 15:06:36 GMT

Brian Selzer wrote:
> Now, now, Marshall. System-generated surrogates can simplifiy things if

It looks as if you have slipped in the word "surrogate", which is not what the others seem to be talking about. I believe Codd introduced that word to stand for a value that a user can never see. If users operate only at a logical level, then a surrogate must be a physical feature.

(The use that is most obvious to me is to give physical indirection which might allow a very fast update, eg., re-assign all waybills to a different plane shortly before take-off, trading for slower queries.)

p Received on Wed May 23 2007 - 17:06:36 CEST

Original text of this message