Re: Stupid Database Tricks

From: Roy Hann <specially_at_processed.almost.meat>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:37:43 +0100

"Brian Selzer" <brian_at_selzer-software.com> wrote in message news:d9V4i.6084$4Y.5622_at_newssvr19.news.prodigy.net...
> Now, now, Marshall. System-generated surrogates can simplifiy things if
>
> (1) the database is temporal--particularly historical,
> (2) some constraints are temporal,

You are describing a possible workaround, not a desirable feature. One should make that clear. Also it is not clear this is even a good workaround. I suspect it is a very inadequate one.

> (3) keys may be updated

Wrong. Seriously wrong. See my earlier response to David Cressey re ON UPDATE CASCADE.
> and either (1) or (2),
> (4) the schema may evolve and (1), or

I suspect this is wrong too, though to be honest I've no idea what you have in mind here.

Roy Received on Wed May 23 2007 - 13:37:43 CEST

Original text of this message