Re: Newsgroup Signal to Noise Ratio

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 21:44:31 GMT

Bob Hairgrove wrote:
> On Tue, 01 May 2007 12:49:40 GMT, "David Cressey"
> <cressey73_at_verizon.net> wrote:
>

>> With regard to requests for help that are "over the top",  I'll point you to
>> this:
>>
>> http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=499980&start=0&tstart=0
>>
>> This thing has been making the rounds.  I'm convinced that it was intended
>> as satire right from the start.  It's a little depressing that so many
>> people respond to it as if it were serious.  I might have done the same
>> thing a couple of years ago.

> This line is a dead giveaway:
>
> "I KNOW THE ACCESS DATABASE VERY WELL, AND IS FAR BETTER THAN ORACLE.
> ORCALE IS TOO MANY DOCS..."
>
> Amazing, how a troll on one forum can propagate to others with "just
> a little help from my friends..." ;)

Its more than just the risk of being trolled - I am now treating posting with urls were serious circumspection given the number of drive by exploits the most popular OS enjoys. Even though I use FF and TB it makes me very twitchy.

Cheers Frank. Received on Thu May 17 2007 - 23:44:31 CEST

Original text of this message