Re: more closed-world chatter

From: Jon Heggland <jon.heggland_at_idi.ntnu.no>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 11:21:56 +0200

Marshall wrote:
> On May 7, 4:15 am, Jon Heggland <jon.heggl..._at_idi.ntnu.no> wrote:

>> The crux of the matter in that prescription is the equivalence between
>> R1 & R2 and R1 - (R1 - R2). How do you handle that?

> On further reflection, I don't think they're equivalent.
> We would say two expressions e1 and e2 on variables
> A and B were equivalent if
>
> forall A: forall B: e1(A) = e2(B)
>
> But that's clearly not the case here. All we have here is
>
> exists A: exists B: e1(A) = e2(B)
>
> And that's not a very strong claim. By those criteria,
> we could say that sqrt(x) and x/2 were equivalent,
> because, you know, 4. The fact that there is a *category*
> of A and B values for which the equation holds is
> a distraction, and not compelling.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you disputing the equivalence of the set intersection A INTERSECT B and the difference A MINUS (A MINUS B)?

Or are you pointing out that the equivalence only holds if the join R1 & R2 actually is an intersection? If so, sorry about not saying that explicitly, but I considered that obvious from the context of the IM prescription we're discussing; and anyway, I don't see what difference it makes. D&D's point is that intersection is a special case of join, as well as a special case of difference, so the rules for type inference ought to produce the same result in all three cases.

Or are you saying that it is (or might be) okay if expressions that are equivalent (e.g. the intersection/minus above; or T WHERE FALSE / T JOIN TABLE_DUM) have different types? That sounds like undermining the concept of equivalence, and possibly optimiser-inhibiting ...

> We could try to rephrase the issue in terms of unary
> relations, intersection, and subtraction, but that wouldn't
> be very interesting, because we don't care much about
> operators that only work on unary relations.

You've lost me here, too. Why only unary relations?

--
Jon