Re: Newbie question on table design.

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 13:58:38 GMT

David Cressey wrote:
> "Frank Hamersley" <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message
>

>>David Cressey wrote:

>>>I beg your pardon, but they *were* called "libraries" in TOPS-10/20

> COBOL
>
>>>circles. And they functioned like libraries.
>>
>>In CDC land we called 'em "Copy Decks" cos they were (originally) 80
>>column punched card decks.
>>I never thought of them as libraries per se as they were not object code
>>- they were functional though :-)
>>
>>Cheers Frank.
>>

> I know practically nothing of CDC culture, but quite a bit about DEC
> culture, going way back. My impression of CDC culture, gleaned indirectly
> from what Niklaus Wirth had to say about the CDCmachines, is that CDC
> culture discovered interactive development later than DEC culture did. I'm
> just about certain that IBM culture discovered interactive development later
> than DEC culture did. This is somewhat related to the topic at hand.

In the 1970's and even the 1980's, Dec terminals cost a fraction of IBM's. Some executives bought controllers that could connect the IBM channels to Dec VT's and such but they could expect to be summoned to the IBM district manager's office for tea and "career advice".

p Received on Thu May 03 2007 - 15:58:38 CEST

Original text of this message