Re: Is it possible to use a database though any high-level API?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 May 2007 20:53:04 -0700

On May 2, 1:32 pm, "David Cressey" <cresse..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > On May 2, 12:06 pm, Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastn..._at_ieee.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > The OO databases I had seen only had programming
> > > language interfaces like for C++ or Java. No query language, no
> > > console or other ad-hoc query tool.
>
> > WHAT were they thinking?!
>
> They were thinking like programmers. Those of us who see the value in
> data-centric data management always have to be on the lookout for "the
> revenge of the nerds".
>
> This is only one case among hundreds like it. There is no sign of universal
> enlightenment in the forseeable future.

Nicely put.

Let me take it one step further, though: there's an aspect of hubris about it. These are people who are certainly aware of the fact that data management has been studied for decades, and yet they have consciously decided that it is completely unnecessary to try to learn what that field has come up with before starting their own efforts. And in fact they have done so with the certainty that their efforts are going to yield superior results, despite their own ignorance. Indeed, I have heard people argue sincerely and with a straight face that their ignorance is a success factor!

It is this hubris, this faith in ignorance, this anti-intellectualism, that I despise.

Marshall Received on Thu May 03 2007 - 05:53:04 CEST

Original text of this message