Re: Newbie question on table design.

From: David Cressey <cressey73_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:56:36 GMT

"-CELKO-" <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:1177767078.449343.78520_at_n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

> I can easily think of 2 ways to support record [sic] un-/deletion.
>
> 1. Add an 'is_deleted' column that can take a binary 1/0 value (1 =
> deleted, 0 = not-deleted). .. <<
>
> Rows are not records. Among the MANY differences is that rows are
> shared and have transaction control problems. Records in a single
> application file system do not.

This is just plainly not true. There are numerous record managment systems that allow for concurrent access by mupltiple processes.

The distinction between "row" and "record" is more a matter of terminology than concept. You tend to view a poster's use of the word "record" as an indicator that the person has not yet learned to think in sets, rather than sequences. Such profiling is probably somewhat successful, but it's by no means as conclusive as you make it sound. Received on Sat Apr 28 2007 - 15:56:36 CEST

Original text of this message