Re: MERGE as the imperative form of aggregation

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 16 Apr 2007 00:02:42 -0700

On Apr 15, 11:05 pm, "Brian Selzer" <b..._at_selzer-software.com> wrote:

> That's because you appear to have bought into the [...]

Anyone who's been reading this newsgroup for any length of time is familiar with the fact that "correlating tuples" is a pet issue of yours. Let's not rehash those old arguments; it was not productive the first n times, and there is strong reason to believe it won't be productive time n+1.

Much of the discussion rests on the importance of transition constraints. I would like to discuss that. Are they important? Fundamental? What theoretic basis do they have? What are we to make of the fact that they are tuple oriented when the RA isn't?

Perhaps the best way to frame this discussion is in terms of a use-case. Please note that such a use case *cannot* be stated in terms starting with "Assume you need to have a transition constraint." That's called assuming the conclusion, a particularly nasty logical fallacy. Instead we should hope for something that will be a recognizable business requirement, that could be enforced, say, in application logic, but which could not be enforced centrally except via a transition constraint. That I would find illuminating.

Anyone?

Actually I'm also interested to hear opinions. I've never come across a particular need for transition constraints, but I don't regard my own experience as definitive. (Hardly!) However if a bunch of folks say the same thing, that is more suggestive. Clearly Brian is a firm believer in transition constraints, however by himself he can be disregarded as a statistical outlier. (I'm not picking on Brian here; any *one* of us is not a statistically significant trend.)

Marshall Received on Mon Apr 16 2007 - 09:02:42 CEST

Original text of this message