Re: Where is everybody?

From: Matthias Klaey <mpky_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 01:45:57 +0200

"Aloha Kakuikanu" <aloha.kakuikanu_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Apr 9, 10:16 am, "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey, where is everybody? Nobody's posting. What's up with that?
>
>One suggestion to bring this board back to life is posting weekly
>reviews or just references to some great articles. I assume a week is
>reasonable timeframe for everyone to find something interesting.
>
>Here we go: Eric Hehner "From Boolean Algebra to Unified Algebra".
>
>One of the main article themes is the importance of notation. In
>particular on p.7 in the section on Symmetry and Duality Eric argues
>that /\ and \/ symbols are well chosen, while & and || are not!
>
>Next, implication is a partial order relation -- couldn't agree more.

[...]

now that's some news... ;-)

I would reccomend "George Boole, The laws of thought" 1854, plus one and a half century of follow up work on logic and (partial) order structures.

(sorry I don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me that the corpus of mathematics that underlies database theory is still very much underappreciated, even here.)

With kind regards
Matthias Kläy

--
www.kcc.ch