Re: Database Design Patterns?

From: Drago Ganic <dganic_at_vodatel.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 06:50:33 +0200

Hi,
the first book mentioned is in my opinion excellent. Its more about "Business Concept Patterns" than "Database Design Patterns" It is the best description of business concepts I have ever read and I think that the author shows that ER modelling is a great method (in my opinion the best) to visualize concepts. It is also fundamental ... the concepts/patterns of business partner/party, addresses, products, assets or organization units are fundamental in business systems. After detailed reading of the book you will be able to make an ER diagram about anything, and if it's in the domain of business software you will learn to see some pattern everywhere in such systems.

I know that many of the group participants don't like ER modelling but after reading this book to me it was clear that ER modelling is a best start to undestand something new. The level of abstractions between ER modelling and the RM are totally different ... the first is for conceptual overview and analysis and the later for logical design and/or deeper analysis. ER method is just a graphical method as other graphical method engineers use in the older disciplines (construction, mechanical and electrical engineering) before doing the calculations.

The books uses Oracle ER method which was the first ER method I really found usable in opposite to the original Chen method. There are very few graphical elements which are used and the attributes stay inside the entity sets. The entities are graphically represented like sets.

Greetings,
Drago