Re: What is the logic of storing XML in a Database?

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2007 12:48:34 -0700

On 29 mar, 21:11, "David Cressey" <cresse..._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> > On Mar 29, 6:52 am, "Cimode" <cim..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > View network sharing seems however to be the only fundamentally
> > > optimal solution. The receiver of some EDI information is simply a
> > > remote user from the perspective of the dbms. In such perspective,
> > > defining views the receiver can interpretate and openning the right
> > > ports (with an adequate TCPIP topology) is much simpler than adding an
> > > entire applicative layer to handle the *carrying* of some
> > > encapsulated message. In other words, I strongly doubt of the real
> > > need for sending a message (be it CSV or XML or anything) as opposed
> > > to simply sharing a view.
>
> > I strongly agree.
>
> > I'll go a bit further. I imagine a world where the schema that
> > a given piece of client software is embedded in that client.
> > When it connects with the dbms, it tell the dbms the schema
> > it expects, and the dbms dynamically constructs a view for
> > that client, if possible.
>
> I have done this, albeit in a very clumsy and primitive way, some 10 years
> ago.
> In this case the "client software" was MS Access 97, and the server DBMS
> was Oracle.
>
> Access supports "table links" which, in effect, are remote views. Oracle
> supports remote tables.
> There's the transport layer.
>
> I didn't have any automated way of creating the correct view for the app,
> but essentially a manually devised "CREATE VIEW" statement was good enough.
> The lack of parameters on views slowed me down a little, but there are
> workarounds.
>
> The apps built on top of Access were very simple minded pull the data, make
> a graph, or write a report type things, with a few data entry screens for
> good measure.
>
> I realize that this is just the tip of the iceberg compared to what you are
> contemplating, but it's amazing how much could be done with no more than
> this!
Yeah. Just imagine a 200 Ko thin Access Linked server program (with a only 1 round trip per binding instead of 6 using ODBC): 100 Ko for the widgets + 50Ko for schema information + a 50 Ko compiler then you would get the aimed client... Received on Thu Mar 29 2007 - 21:48:34 CEST

Original text of this message