Re: What is the logic of storing XML in a Database?

From: Bernard Peek <bap_at_alpha.shrdlu.com>
Date: 28 Mar 2007 15:24:06 GMT

On 2007-03-28, Daniel <danielaparker_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 28, 9:55 am, "Cimode" <cim..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mar 28, 1:21 pm, Bernard Peek <b..._at_alpha.shrdlu.com> wrote:> On 2007-03->
>> > Data can be validated before it's transmitted.
>>
>> Does that mean that CSV data with a header can't be validated?
>
> Of course not, an application at the endpoint can employ custom code
> to check the contents of the file, using a custom description of the
> flat file (the header isn't enough.)

That depends entirely on what data you put in the header. If by header you mean a list of field-names then you are correct. I was assuming a broader definition that would include other information such as constraints.

[...]

>> So what you are saying is that an XML file takes less space (less
>> verbose) than a flat CSV file?
>>
> This is the only point on which I would be inclined to differ from
> Bernard :-)

I would say that a flat file containing all of the information in an XML file might well be larger than the XML version. It's not a foregone conclusion that XML files are larger. Both types of file are likely to have frequently repeated strings, and if so will compress well.

As always a lot depends on how the technology is used rather than just the technology.

--
bap_at_shrdlu.com
In search of cognoscenti