Re: What is the logic of storing XML in a Database?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:54:12 -0400

Clinging to sanity, Bernard Peek <bap_at_alpha.shrdlu.com> mumbled into her beard:
> On 2007-03-27, JOG <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> On 2007-03-26, Karen Hill <karen_hil..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I see people putting XML documents in databases. Why do they do this,
>>> what is the logic behind it? Why not just put the data into tables?
>>> Why are the standards committees going along with this (XML SQL/
>>> MED)? Why don't people just use tables to store the data thusly:
>>
>> Laziness. Lack of knowledge of data fundamentals. Miseducation. Having
>> a manager who is a constant victim to the latest marketing fad. Take
>> your pick.
>
> I have to add that XML has its place, but as a blob in a database is not it.

Ah, there is a place even for that.

Suppose you're using XML as a data interchange mechanism.

And suppose your customers are, on occasion, exceeding untrustworthy, and whether by incompetence or by intent doesn't matter. They come and complain: "We never sent those requests!"

If you have the requests in raw form, kicking around, you can prove them wrong.

--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in String.concat "_at_" [name;tld];;
http://linuxfinances.info/info/slony.html