Re: What is the logic of storing XML in a Database?

From: Christopher Browne <>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:54:12 -0400

Clinging to sanity, Bernard Peek <> mumbled into her beard:
> On 2007-03-27, JOG <> wrote:
>>> On 2007-03-26, Karen Hill <> wrote:
>>> I see people putting XML documents in databases. Why do they do this,
>>> what is the logic behind it? Why not just put the data into tables?
>>> Why are the standards committees going along with this (XML SQL/
>>> MED)? Why don't people just use tables to store the data thusly:
>> Laziness. Lack of knowledge of data fundamentals. Miseducation. Having
>> a manager who is a constant victim to the latest marketing fad. Take
>> your pick.
> I have to add that XML has its place, but as a blob in a database is not it.

Ah, there is a place even for that.

Suppose you're using XML as a data interchange mechanism.

And suppose your customers are, on occasion, exceeding untrustworthy, and whether by incompetence or by intent doesn't matter. They come and complain: "We never sent those requests!"

If you have the requests in raw form, kicking around, you can prove them wrong.

let name="cbbrowne" and tld="" in String.concat "_at_" [name;tld];;
"You shouldn't make my toaster angry."
-- Household security explained in "Johnny Quest"