Re: What is the logic of storing XML in a Database?

From: Chris Edwards <cme_at_ihug.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:42:14 +1200

On 03/27/07 11:11, Bob Badour wrote:
> Karen Hill wrote:

>> X-No-Archive:yes
>>
>> I see people putting XML documents in databases.  Why do they do this,
[...]
> The short answer is "stupidity and ignorance".

A potent combination, that one. :^)

There is presumably something about human nature that makes us keep coming back to hierarchical structures for data. And ignoring history.

I would say that if you can treat the XML document as an atomic value, then storing it in a database attribute could be appropriate. But, yes, your example with all the customer details nested inside an XML document in a column in a table: weird and icky. :^)

--
Chris