Re: A database theory resource - ideas

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 21:38:45 GMT

Marshall wrote:
> An officemate says he likes to tweak C fans by calling it a
> low-level language, which of course it is. "No, it's high level"
> they say. Then he opens K&R to the intro where it says
> "C is a low-level language." Heh heh heh.

Anybody who says it's high-level hasn't done low-level. I decided to learn C around 1985. Reason had nothing to do with merit as a language, just practicality, eg. ubiquity even then, for low-level programming. By then I'd used a few languages but mostly 360/370 BAL since about 1970. I liked the new Motorola chip but I was damned if I was going to learn the crazy Zylog/Intel, and I forget what else, instruction sets. I thought one assembler is enough assemblers to learn in one lifetime.

p Received on Tue Mar 20 2007 - 22:38:45 CET

Original text of this message